Review: Hyena

 


Although I heard good things about Hyena I didn’t expect to love it so much. Hyena is a breath of fresh air in a jaded kdrama land. As a reminder, these are some of kdrama favourite themes: rich guy, poor girl; smart guy, stupid girl; a knight in shining armour saving a damsel in distress and the list could be extended further where the power balance is tilted toward the male lead.

I couldn’t even remember when was the last time I watch a drama with a power couple. Was there ever one? Hyena might be the one and only.

The female lead is simply awesome. Watching her makes me proud. She makes me root for her, not to get a male lead but to get a head in life. She is tough, brilliant, knows what she want and not afraid to do what has to be done to get it.


 

The male lead is also quite interesting. Although he is what we usually love in our male lead, namely good looking, famous, rich and rude, he is not that usual. This particular male lead was actually fallen into a honey trap set by the female lead and fuming like an angry kitten when he finally learnt about it. 

I love how dismissive the female lead is about his wounded ego. I love seeing the male lead fuming whenever they cross path or even when they are not. He is cute and adorable in his anger and hurt.

I love seeing how their love for each other grow because of their fights. Although, I suspect our male lead falls in love with the female lead at the first sight. And that’s why he was so angry and hurt, because for him it wasn’t just another affair. 


The most satisfying part of the story is when this two powerful people join hands to take down the most powerful person in their country. I love how the female lead convey her message toward their enemy: ‘I may have let you trying to kill me slide. But you should never forget that. Because I’m Jang Geum Ja’

Yes, you don’t mess with this female lead. She bites.

Comments