Review: Oh My Ghostess



My love for Kdramas is significantly dwindling. I couldn’t find one particular drama that I really love – although not love but I really like Kill Me, Heal Me and Ji Sung is beyond awesome. Most of the recent dramas were interesting enough in the beginning but then I lost my interest in a blink of an eye.

It’s not because the quality drops by leaps since most of it happens quite early in the game but because most storylines turn into something that turns me off. The quality of the production might be substandard, the leads might have no idea how to read the lines let alone act yet I’m still going to be watching till the end as long as the story is interesting and my cup of tea.

But once the stories change direction or show their true colours that it’s not what I think it would be, it’s a good bye time.

Let’s take a look at Oh My Ghostess as an example. I like the first few episodes of this drama and this is one of the very few dramas that I actually finished. It’s fun and entertaining to watch. But do I love it? No.

I almost dropped Oh My Ghostess when it’s pretty clear that the male lead falls in love with the Ghost (Shin Sun Ae) instead of with the suppose female lead Na Bong Sun.

My aversion was not because I didn’t love Shin Sun Ae for I actually loved her more than the timid Na Bong Sun who had no personality nor charms and faded into the background. Shin Sun Ae was lively, lusty and fun to watch. It was a great shame that she was already dead and not chosen as the female lead.

My biggest bone with Oh My Ghostess is that the writer fails to make the female lead shines. Its biggest mistake is for making the dead female lead more enchanting than the living female lead. Who’ll love a female lead who is barely there?

My second bone with the show is for failing to show me that the love story that I’m watching is the kind of love story that will warm and touch my heart with its beauty. Its second biggest mistake is for completely destroying my hope that it would redeem itself in the end.

Oh My Ghostess is not the first drama about someone occupying someone else’s body, there are others like 49 Days and Who Are You.  But from romantic point of view (my point of view) Oh My Ghostess is the least romantic one.

The romance in Oh My Ghostess is its worst part. And since I’m watching every single drama for its romance, romance is where my review comes from.

Han Kang in 49 Days has to deal with a ghost too. Does he fall in love with the body where the ghost is? No, he doesn’t. Does he know for sure who he falls in love with despite having to deal with two women? Yes, he does. Does his love change because of death? No, it doesn’t.

That’s the kind of love that I love. Love that prevails against all odds.

In Oh My Ghostess the love between Kang Sun Woo and Shin Sun Ae can’t be happening because she is already dead but on the other hand he is making out with the body of the non exist Na Bong Sun.

All the romantic scenes that touch our hearts and his are the ones with Shin Sun Ae. Every skinship that makes us watch it with glee is the one with Shin Sun Ae. If Shin Sun Ae is using some random girl Kang Sun Woo would definitely fall in love with that girl.

Son Young In in Who Are You falls in love with Cha Seung Hyo despite the fact it’s the Ghost who treats her super nicely. She does wonder about his split personalities from time to time but nevertheless she doesn’t fall in love with the wrong person. She loves the jerk and not the super nice one.

Some might argue that Kang Sun Woo doesn’t fall in love with the wrong person for he loves Na Bong Sun too, well, I beg to differ. She’s been there with him long before Shin Sun Ae comes but he feels nothing for her. It’s Shin Sun Ae’s personality that attracts and moves him.

I would describe his feelings for Na Bong Sun as lukewarm. Without Shin Sun Ae they might have a chance to become friends someday. And that me being generous.

The worst parts of the story are:

Firstly, when the lead is more upset that he is being lied to instead of realizing the horror that he is actually in love and has been making out with a completely different girl from the one that he thinks he loves.
Secondly, the hand shake scene. How I hate a hand shake scene in a romcom (remembering The Prime Minister and I)!

A hand shake? Really? That’s how you end your love for a girl that has touched your heart like no other? I understand they want to shift our attention into supporting Na Bong Sun’s ship, but that’s not how to do it.

If romance is not your reason for watching a drama, you’ll like Oh My Ghostess and might not find anything wrong with it.

Comments