Love, Rosie vs Love Forecast


As much as I love opposite attracts (translation: cold, rude, chaebol/billionaire heroes and dirt poor, kind hearted but rather stupid heroines), the theme that I love the most for my romance is childhood friends/best friends turn into lovers.

This theme excels in what is most important in any relationship: trust.

If we are being asked how much we trust our best friends most of us would say a lot. And some might say they trust their best friends even more than their own lovers.

Sometimes some people can't be themselves when they are in a relationship. They strive to be what they think their lovers want them to be, which could be tiring both physically and mentally. The best thing about friendship is we could be ourselves.

We know that our friends would still feel the same about us either when we are at our best or at our worst. We have the luxury of having an unshakable belief that they will always be there for us no matter what.

We feel secure in our relationship with them while some of us would never feel secure in our relationship with our lovers.

In friends turn into lovers theme we don't need to be convinced that the male and female leads love each other.

The issues which have to be addressed by the films are firstly, whether their love could endure the presence of 'Ms/Mr Right or to be precise Mr/Ms Wrong, secondly when/what is the moment when they realize that they love each other more than they love this other person and lastly what's next?

I watched Love, Rosie and Love Forecast (오늘의 연애) last month and realize one thing, it's hard to find love. No, I'm no talking about their loves, I'm talking about the fact that I don't fall in love with either. I like both movies alright just not as much as I want to like them.

If I have to choose the one I like better, I'll say I love Rosie. I love everything about the friendship between Rosie (Lilly Collins) and Alex (Sam Clafflin). They share and discuss everything from dating to the planning of their future.


The only thing that Rosie keeps to herself from Alex (besides the fact that she loves him) is her pregnancy. Not because she doesn't trust him, but because she doesn't want to stop him from going to the US and clouding his happiness with her downfall.

The friendship's part in Love, Rosie and the deep love between the leads are the best parts about it. However, that's also why I find the movie frustrating.

Alex is in love with Rosie, Rosie is in love with Alex so what's the problem? I could accept the first time Alex goes to other girl because Rosie is the one who urges him to.

I can understand he chooses other girl because he thinks Rosie's love for him is just a love between friends. I can understand he doesn't want to lose their friendship. But seeing him keep getting new girlfriends  when he is in love with Rosie really irks me.


He is saved and finally has a chance to set things right when his drop dead gorgeous pregnant girlfriend turns out to be impregnated by other guy. This time there's no excuse that he doesn't know how Rosie feels about him.

But what does he do? He makes the same mistake again by marrying his ex girlfriend and that is right after he finally tells Rosie how he feels about her!

I'm so upset by then that I don't even care if the movie is going to end right then and there. In kdramas we are used to noble idiots but what we have here are simply idiots.

I can't understand why someone who is in love with someone else is having a relationship with somebody else or worse marrying that person. It is almost equal to lying and cheating.

For the shake of  happy ending Alex dumps his wife and chases Rosie back to England. It's time for me to be happy, but the final scene doesn't deliver roses and rainbow for me. I feel rather sorry for Alex's wife, she doesn't deserve this.

As much as I like Love, Rosie the movie leaves a bitter after taste with its happy ending. It is not what I want from my romcom. I keep thinking about what ifs and whys.

In case of Love Forecast, I have a bigger beef.


The movie is funny and entertaining and if Lee Seun Gi/이승 or Moon Chae Won/문채 are your bias you'll love it. My problem is I don't love the friendship between Joon Soo (Lee Seung Gi) and Hyun Woo (Moon Chae Won) that much.

Their friendship feels unbalanced because it's Joon Soo who is doing everything for Hyun Woo. Oh, I forget she does come to the police station to bail him out but that seems insignificant compare to how she treats him the rest of the time.

On the issue of love, Joon Soo is the one doing all the loving. Either for Hyun Woo or other girls he tries to love.


I don't think there is a scene where I see Hyun Woo feels anything remotely similar to love towards Joon Soo let alone a scene where she finally realizes that she loves him more than her lover. She ends up with Joon So because her lover ends their affair and the whole thing blows up in her face.

If I don't understand why someone who is in love is having a relationship with somebody else, I find it even harder to understand why a single woman who could choose any man she wants is having a relationship with a married man.

It's hard for me to shake off  the feeling that only evil women steal other women's men. No good woman wants to be a home wrecker. Or course if that man is Lee Soe Jin one might be tempted, but that's really beside the point.


I find it hard to ship Joon Soo and Hyun Woo because I feel nothing for Hyun Woo. I don't connect with how she treats Joon Soo and how she conducts her love life. But most importantly I don't feel the romance.

Love Forecast spend its time to show us how Joon Soo tries to date other girls and Hyun Woo loves another woman's husband but almost nothing in trying to show us the love between the two leads.

Yes, I said that in this genre we don't need to be convinced that the leads love each other, I stand corrected. There's always an exception. It's one sided love in Love Forecast until almost the last moment.

When I watch a romantic comedy I want to see a love story between the leads. I want to ship them because I know they are in love with each other. How would I do that if the story is about their love stories with others?

Hyun Woo does end up with Joon Soo in the end but that's because she can't have her man. What would happen if he decides to divorce his wife and chooses her instead? From what the movie has shown us she would throw a party and expect Joo Soo to arrange it.


I don't hate these two movies, I'm just disappointed because they could be two of my favourite romcom if only.

Comments