Review: Black




I don’t keep it a secret that I love Song Seung Hun. The proof is Song Seung Hun the Hand Towel and Don’t Call Me Mr. Hand Towel’s post which you could also read in this blog.

Whenever I look at Song Seung Hun’s perfect features my heart automatically screams ‘His Gorgeousness!’


When he closes his eyes I want to say His Gorgeousness may I have your eye lashes please! When he smiles I pray His Gorgeousness may you always smile like that. When he appears on screen I humbly say His Gorgeousness thank you for gracing us with your presence!


Black was a God sent for my sore eyes. The only reason I watched this drama was for Song Seung Hun. I didn’t have any expectation but to drool over my man. So, it’s quite a surprise for me to find that although it’s not perfect Black is actually a rare gem.


Black is supposed to be dark. I think. But I couldn’t keep myself from smiling during all of Song Seung Hun’s scenes. His face alone is enough to make me happy. When he starts to play that guitar in episode 15 and sings, I melt. Not only does he has the face but he also has the voice!

I expect a drama with a grim reaper as the main character to be grim or at the very least solemn. But there is no ominous darkness in Black despite its piles of corpses. The only darkness in this drama is the black shadows on those who are about to die.


Although Black is full of killers and mysteries it feels light hearted and speedy. Nevertheless, deep underneath lies a substance that offers us food for thought. It provokes us to think about human nature. And most importantly it forces us to think about what it means to love.


Instead of being scary Black our male lead, the cold hearted and legendary Grim Reaper Number 444 is actually very amusing. He is such a cutie pie. He looks adorable even when he is being rude and cocky.


Although I don’t like how this drama ends, for the first time ever in my long career of watching Korean drama, I couldn’t bring myself to swear at its ending.

I love love that conquers all obstacles. I love love that triumphs against all odds. Naturally, I hate ending that ends the relationship between the male and the female lead with a passion.    

If you love someone, you would want nothing more than to be together with that person for as long as possible. But, if you can’t have that, if you’re completely powerless to make that happens, what would you do?


Black’s choice is to receive the severest punishment given to grim reaper because that punishment allows the woman he loves to lead a normal life that she has never had. It allows Kang Haram to love another man and live her life to the fullest.

My heart hurts for him. It feels like a betrayal.


I can’t accept the fact that Haram completely forgets Black and falls in love with another man. I can’t accept that she has a happily ever after with a man who is not Black. Not when she never loves any man but him. Not when she has loved him her whole life. Especially because when she finally finds out that he is not who she thought he was she loves him still. She loves him when she thinks he is Kim Jun and she loves him when she thinks he is not Kim Jun. She loves him regardless of who or what he is.


I’m unhappy but the fact is if you love someone, if you sincerely love that person, all that you would ever want is for that person to be happy.

Even if that happiness means your extinction from their memories.

Black who is always jealous when Haram pays even the slightest attention to another man willingly lets Haram to marry another, has his children and spend the rest of her life with him.


His greatest parting gift to Haram is her happiness. Even if that happiness is given to her by another man, it’s okay because he couldn’t personally give it to her. He also leaves her another grim reaper in the form of a famous movie star who is tasked to always protect her as long as she lives.

Black breaks so many rules for Kang Haram fully aware of the heavy consequences that he has to bear in the end.

This drama tells us that we all have that special someone. The problem is we have no idea where that special someone is. We don’t even know whether that special someone lives in the same world with us.

If we already have a special someone, the destined one, is it okay to love someone else? Is it okay to spend the rest of our lives with that other person? What if the person that we have in our lives is actually that special someone?

The original Kim Jun who is loved by Kang Haram has always been in love with Yun Suwan. Even when he dies and his heart ends up in Han Mugang’s body, he is still in love with Yun Suwan. It is only after Hang Mugang dies and he returns to Han Mugang’s body that he falls for Kang Haram.


His loves for Yun Suwan doesn’t stop with his death. Because although he lost all of his memories as Kim Jun and Han Mugang, his heart remembers her.


The thing is, the cold and emotionless Grim Reaper 444, who looks down on mere mortals is only curious why his heart reacts to Yun Suwan, because he himself feels nothing for this human.

On the other hand the girl called Kang Haram makes him feels and does thing that no sane and respectable grim reaper would do.


Black is in quite a shock when he finally learns that the symptom that he has is what human calls love. It is hard for him to accept the fact that he falls in love with Kang Haram. But, even when his memories return, and he realizes how much he loved Yun Suwan both as Kim Jun and Han Mugang, his feelings for Haram remain.


The only thing that changes is his indifference towards Yun Suwan turns into a warm appreciation of her.

That’s how the drama explains the ending of Kim Jun and Han Mugang’s love for Yun Suwan, which I find rather unacceptable. Of course I’m happy that Black’s love for Kang Haram is that great, but the ending of his love for Yun Suwan is a little bit hard to swallow.


It reminds me of Oh My Ghostess wherein the romantic lines as to which girl the male lead really loves leave a bad taste in my mouth. Black isn’t as bad as Oh My Ghostess since it is pretty clear that Black only loves Kang Haram. Still….

If this drama makes Kim Jun’s love for Yun Suwan more trivial like ordinary puppy love or less intense, it would be easier for me to accept the fact that he left her just like that for Kang Haram.

Or the drama shows or gives hints that although Kim Jun was in love with Yun Suwan, the little Kang Haram was someone extremely special for him, so special that despite his love for Yun Suwan he still put her as his priority.

Like I said before Black is not perfect. There are things that could be done better. But overall, I love it.


The ending is not a plus but I have no grudge against it. It’s extremely difficult to make a happy ending between two creatures of different races who come from two different worlds.

Unlike 49 Days which deserves the wrath of its audiences for brazenly cheating them out of their happy ending, Black’s ending is not unexpected. It won’t make you happy but at least you would understand and feel sorry for Black. Hence, forgive the drama for even more.





Comments